Monday, June 25, 2012

12 Day Yoga Challenge, Day 5-8

Yoga: the Union between your mind and body. It truly feels like I've enrolled myself in an intensive yoga boot camp for the last week. As I get more flexible and conditioned, I am always challenged by something, whether it's forgetting my water, the wrong attire, or lack of concentration. I am noticing a change in every aspect of my life because of my practice. I would recommend yoga to anyone who is searching for a better relationship with themselves and their spirituality.




Day 5: Hot Yoga
Today it finally clicked. I felt the concentration yogi's always talk about. It was weak but at times it had me pushing my limits to the max. The crazy part, I enjoyed every bit of it. The heat (i mistakenly set up next to a heater), the sweat, the rapid heart pace, the breathing. It was my first class with the owner, Jean. Her instructing was just as amazing as I've heard it was.  It was an exhausting but exhilarating experience. I giggle at myself for thinking in the past that people were wet from showering after her class (it was sweat, duh). After class my sister and I shared information about our own yoga experiences. She just finished a yoga class through IU and had the best textbook you could ask for. I want to continue yoga and practice regularly and I'll be sad when the challenge is over.

Day 6: Hot Yoga
I had to change up my routine and go to a morning class. I noticed quickly that my energy wasn't as powerful as it usually is (I'm not really a morning person). On top of that, I forgot my water. I couldn't let that stop my progress. I now am more focused on holding poses correctly instead of pushing myself because I think it's what I'm supposed to do. An hour and a half of hot yoga is very challenging but also very rewarding. It's easy to find your balance when you aren't concerned with others and how they're doing. It's all about you. As my work schedule starts to become hectic again, I stay committed to my 12 day challenge.

Day 7: Shanti
I was really feeling the effects from the late night I had last night. I had a great time grooving with family and friends at the concert and really enjoyed the flexibility yoga gives me. In just a week my body has transformed in a lot of ways. All of that dancing (and a few drinks) really took away my motivation for any hot yoga activities. My lower back was hurting from pushing myself too hard at the previous class but Sujal assured me I could participate in every activity. He was right because my back pain vanished after class.

Day 8: Shanti
Tonight was especially challenging, not because of the heat or the challenging poses but because the second I started to stretch I noticed something distracting. As I was mentally preparing myself, stretching and looking in the mirror, there they were... my undies. How did I not know that my boxer-like shorts would be too revealing? I quietly walk out to ask Sujal for some extra shorts. Of course he doesn't have any so I had to make a choice. I would have to ask someone (in meditation) to trade me places or work through the embarrassment. I chose to stay at the front of the class. Of course my mind would wonder from time to time about the view of the people behind me but I challenged myself to stay focused.

I am not 2/3 of the way through my challenge. For the last four days of my experience, I expect to see the most progress I've seen so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment